Cat or Rabbit Socializer
Time Periods When Assistance Is Needed
- Daily during regular volunteer hours
- Socializers are asked to commit to visiting the shelter a minimum of twice a month.
- Socialize cats and rabbits in pens and adoption rooms.
- Make notes about the animals’ behavior for use by staff and potential adopters.
- Alert staff to any issues of medical concern.
- Work with shy or special needs animals as requested to increase happiness, social activity and adoptability.
Special Capabilities Needed
- Must be able to provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service and to answer questions in a professional manner, deferring to staff if the correct answer isn’t clear or if guidance is needed.
- Must be able to learn and use safe animal handling practices when interacting with the animals.
All volunteers who help as socializers must first attend the volunteer orientation and attend a safe animal handling training session.
Animal Socialization volunteers are asked to assist in this area for a minimum of 1 hour each session and commit to a weekly or monthly schedule for a minimum of three months, though they are welcome to stay as long as they want.